Sunday, June 24, 2007

June 19 Denali West Buttress with Guides Louis and Bayard

I just hung up the phone with Louis, he was calling in from 9,500' on the Kahiltna Glacier. They carried their extra food, fuel and equipment to 11,000' today and will move there tomorrow. They are in a whiteout storm, as they have been for the last several days, it is blowing and snowing, today they have about 6 inches of fresh snow in their camp. They can still move up to 11,000' camp tomorrow even in weather like this, they have put in a wanded trail today, so it should be good going tomorrow, despite the blowing and snowing.

A few messages from the team:

From Denali to her family: " See you in 30 minutes, having a great time."

From Sam: " Yo"

From Rip: " I don't have a computer." - author's note: Rip lives way out in the Alaskan bush, you can only get to his place by plane.

From Bev: "I'm having a great time and enjoying the scenery."


Mike, Nate, Zoltan and Krisztina are settled in at 11,000' having a rest day. It is pretty windy above them so they will wait to carry until the weather is better. I am sure they will be happy to see Louis team roll into camp tomorrow.

All is well!

- Caitlin

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Mikey Jr,
Thinking of you and praying for the snow to clear. One step at a time, breathe, breathe, breathe.
Love you,
Cousin A.