Monday, May 19, 2008
This is a picture of the South side of the Moose's Tooth. Ham and Eggs is the route that tops out at the lowest point on the ridge. Shakin' not stirred is just out of view on the left side of the photo. Brian Okonek Photo.
Nate, Matt and Dave "bumped" over to the "Route Canal" today to try to climb Ham and Eggs or Shakin' not stirred on the south side of the Moose's Tooth. They climbed to the junction of the Harvard and the West Face Couloir twice on Huntington. The second time I bet they got turned around by a bunch of snow on the upper snow slopes. They had a few days left and decided they would go try another mountain. The weather is looking super good as far as I can tell in there. The route is South facing and in the sun right now. I bet they start up it this evening when it gets a little cooler.
This photo is looking back towards Windy Corner. Melis called in about 20 minutes further up the trail towards 14K camp. Photo Christian March.
Melis radioed up to 14K this afternoon from 13.5K. I got a call down from 14K to relay a message. They are all doing good. She is planning on moving up to 14K tomorrow. They have installed their cache around the corner, which I'm sure they are all excited about. This carry day will have been the hardest day for them yet on the trip, not to be topped in difficulty until tomorrow when they move to 14K.
Brian Okonek photo of 17K camp. (high camp).
Tork is planning on moving his entire crew up to high camp and possibly going for the summit on Wednesday if the weather is good. I didn't hear from Tom personally so all I know is that they will leave 14K pretty early. It'll be pretty cold, in some ways this move is one of the coldest starts of the trip, 'cause they get such an early start so they can roll into 17K in good time and have plenty of warm weather up there. They'll most likely roll out of 14K with overboots and their expedition mitts on. Most groups don't go for the summit until 10:00 AM or even later to allow for sunshine to properly warm everything and everybody up before they start out into the shade of Denali Pass.
There has been some wind up high lately. Kremer's team is hoping to go for the summit tomorrow.